Friday, July 26, 2013

Packing for a new life

I am realizing that one of the benefits of blogging is saving a ton of money on therapy.

I had started this blog post talking about our intention to move out east at some point and that we have accumulated a bunch of "stuff" that I would gladly part with. I went on to state how most of our things would be donated or trashed except for a few things that mean a lot to us.

So I saved the post, took a shower, was getting ready for work and thought "why have I surrounded myself with a bunch of stuff that I don't care about"?

But it occurred to me that since we moved every few years in the military and odds are when they packed up your stuff and threw it on the moving truck that many of these things you treasured were bound to be lost or broken when you arrived at your new location. So, I never got attached to things and our family has always been what has made our house a home.

Around 19 years ago my husband retired from the army and we settled down in Minnesota. Our kids grew up, moved away and now I am left with the "stuff" when what I really miss is what always made our house a home, my kids. I see my daughter, son in law and Hattie as much as possible and we see our son often but it is always a few hours here and there. I of course love my husband and love our life now but our home feels somewhat empty since we have gone from four to two.

So now the appeal of living near Hattie and my daughter and son in law and having them come over and fill the house with noise and love is so strong. I also want my son there too so I am hoping that the same thing that has occurred to me occurs to him.

I want a real home again.

 

4 comments:

  1. I hear you about the "stuff". We are trying to sell our house, and the "stuff" is over whelming me. We don't quite know exactly where we will be living, yet. But, as I am fortunate enough to live quite near my one and only grandchild, Owen, all talk about maybe moving farther away has been squelched. I really do cherish every moment I am with him. Oh, and it is wonderful that my daughter and son-in-law live so close, too. My son lives about two hours away, in a big city, and, as my daughter says, is having waaaaaaay too much fun. But we see him about every other month, so that's fine.

    I really hope you can work it out with your family to be able to move where you would be close enough to see your sweet Hattie more frequently. She is a real cutie-pie.

    Btw, I'm glad I found your blog through Lisa at Grandma's Briefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for visiting Leeri. This is such an exciting time for our family. Something tells me somehow we will all end up together and that I just need to have faith that it will. I am so glad you found my blog and I just love Grandma's briefs! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet blog. I can't imagine living 1200 miles away from my family, as it is now, we're about 5 hours apart and that's too much for me. I pray you will all be together soon. What a lovely dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Patti. It's very hard but I know in my heart it won't be forever. Thanks for visiting the blog. It really is such great therapy!

    ReplyDelete