Saturday, July 27, 2013

Attitude adjustment

I have come to the realization that I will need to work full time for at least 2-3 more years. But as I stated before, I'm sort of worn out by this work thing. I really do like my job but I am one of those people that is "in their head" way too much.

See I'm pretty much a cup half empty person and always have been. How does that happen? Was I laying in my crib thinking about how my bottle was going to be too cold and I bet my mother won't remember to change my diaper on time? But I swear for as long as I remember I am always thinking about how badly everything will go. (except vacations which I aways think will be great and are!)

So I watched a motivational speaker on youtube last night speaking about this very thing and how to take thoughts and flip them around instantly. So instead of thinking in the morning "we are three people short, we will be super busy, I am going to get five emails that I won't know how to answer and I have a list of 100 things on my to do list" I will think this is going to be the best day ever! Now just typing that made me laugh out loud with complete doubt but maybe I need to keep saying it. Maybe by always thinking how crazy my day will be I fulfill that prophecy in my head.

Do we really attract to ourselves the thoughts and beliefs in our heads? Supposedly studies show that we do so maybe I need to try a mental shift as soon as these thoughts pop into my head. I will try it. I will let you know how it goes. Of course that is only if my IPad doesn't break, or my Internet doesn't go out or I don't get malaria in the next few days.

***So here is an update. I wrote this post yesterday and tried this at work and overall it worked really well. There were a few times those thoughts started sinking in but I was able to turn them around. It must just take practice. So I had a great Friday and then when I checked my phone after work there was this picture of Hattie. Life really is great and I guess it's all how you look at it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment